Sunday, October 5, 2014

Gratitude...Or Lack There Of.

The amount of tragedy that fills this world is sickening, sometimes its hard to believe that there may be anything in this world to be happy about or grateful for. After I had suffered a couple of losses, I started questioning what all of this was really all about. Why are we here if eventually it all just ends? Why was I put here? In this body? In this life? Whats the point? With all of these questions running around in my head, I decided to try and answer them for myself so I could try and be happy again. Here's what I found!

1. Make the little things feel like they're the best things: I know this sounds dumb but embracing this one little tip can easily turn a terrible day into a not so bad one. I remember one day during my senior year I was having an awful day. I was stressing about applications for college, trying out for the school musical and the mounds of homework I had waiting for me at home. It sounds like your basic day of high school but once you start having weeks filled with these days it starts to get to you. Then, when I was just about to give up on college and everything else, one of my closest friends reached out to me and asked if everything was okay. To her it was just a simple question but to me it meant so much because of the day I was having. I said I was fine, like I always had, but suddenly I kind of believed it. After she left, I rembered how grateful I was to have her in my life and having a small reminder of that made everything seem less intimidating.

2. Find inspiration in someone or something: There's always someone or something worth appreciating, whether it be a song, family member or friend. Whatever it may be, make sure you surround yourself with that person or thing, I guarantee it will help you through what you're struggling with. Sometimes all you need to hear is the right song lyric or the right piece of advice or even meet the right person and that could change everything.

3. Have faith that things will get better: Everyone has been told this from time to time but I'm here to tell you that it is 100% true. I was told this constantly and every time I heard it I got more mad and believed it that much less. Now that I learned to embrace everything life has to offer, I couldn't agree more with the idea that things get better. It might take a lot of work to try and get out of the place you're in but if you fight your way out you will succeed and be a better and happier person because of it.

I know it's not easy but what I do know is that it's worth the fight. I hope these three little tips can help at least one person! Feel free to share your story in the comments, I'm all ears.



1 comment:

  1. So true! It always gives me a new perspective on life when I stop and enjoy the little things. Great post :)

    ReplyDelete